Welcome to our Author Spotlight, where we shine a light on writers, authors, and literary wonders worldwide.
Today our spotlight is shining on Shannon O'Connor, romance author and poet, here to tell us about her most recent series Only in Seaside.
1. First, tell us a little about your book/project?
My current project is a six-book series called Only in Seaside. Each book is an interconnected standalone with a new couple, most of which include the fake dating trope. The first book in the series, Only for the Summer is set to release on August 1st, 2022.
2. What kind of research did you do and how long do you spend researching before beginning a book?
It depends! I write romance so there's less research involved than in other genres. I do like to research the careers and places I'm choosing for the characters so they can be as authentic as possible.
3. If you could tell your younger writing self one thing, what would it be?
Keep writing! There were a lot of years I had "given up" on writing and I really regret losing those years.
4. Can you tell us a bit about your writing space? Is there something you need to have when writing a book?
Most days I'm at my desk but I really prefer to be out when I write. When I can, there's a Starbucks near my house I enjoy going to. It's not too loud, not very crowded and I can charge my computer! I'll usually have an iced mocha and grab a bagel on the way. I prefer typing on my laptop and using Scrivener to keep track of all my notes/characters.
5. If you could be a character from any book for 24 hours, who would you be?
I'm not sure! Honestly, I'd love to be myself but get to dip into the other worlds that other authors have created. Sometimes they seem so perfect I'd love to jump in!