Welcome to our Author Spotlight, where we shine a light on writers, authors and literary wonders from all over the world.
Today our spotlight is shining on Jennifer Walker. Her latest release is Finding Aloha.
1. First, tell us a little about your book/project?
My latest release (Feb. 2022) is a contemporary YA romance called Finding Aloha. It's about a seventeen-year-old girl from Canada who's life basically falls apart, so she takes an opportunity to move to Maui with her dad. While there, she falls for a cute local, but soon finds that her presence on the island puts his family at risk.
I also have a contemporary YA romance that was published in 2020 called Within the Folds of a Swan's Wings, which is about an awkward teen finding her tribe as she navigates high school.
2. What kind of research did you do and how long do you spend researching before beginning a book?
I've travelled many times to Maui, and my love of the island and its people inspired Finding Aloha. So research for this one was fun to do! Really, any excuse to head to Maui works for me!
3. If you could tell your younger writing self one thing, what would it be?
That your path in life is constantly changing and that you are the only one who can make the choices of where it's going to lead. But sometimes paths lead to a surprising destination!
4. Can you tell us a bit about your writing space? Is there something you need to have when writing a book?
No, I have zero routines or must-haves! Which, I think, serves me well because it means I can write as I sit in the car waiting for my kids to finish up activities, or at my kitchen table as the family buzzes around me. I've learned to block everything else out to just write!
5. If you could be a character from any book for 24hours, who would you be?
I just finished The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, and how fun would it be to embrace that elegance, confidence, and beauty for just one day?