Welcome to our Author Spotlight, where we shine a light on writers, authors, and literary wonders worldwide.
Today our spotlight is shining on Elena Carter, author of the urban fantasy novel Follow the Hummingbird.
1. First, tell us a little about your book/project?
My debut novel “Follow the Hummingbird”, released last year, is a story about a young widow who finds a pathway to different worlds and realms through her dreams. She even has a chance to reunite with her deceased husband in one of those realms. However, there are risks, and she will have to make decisions and choose which doors need to be opened, and which are better left closed.
2. What kind of research did you do and how long do you spend researching before beginning a book?
Writing “Follow the Hummingbird” didn’t involve much research, apart from some fact-checking. The same goes for book 2, which I’m working on now. The main “writing tools” here are inspiration and imagination. And time, of course.
3. If you could tell your younger writing self one thing, what would it be?
Believe in your writing. Always. You are the number one person who must believe in it. And never give up.
4. Can you tell us a bit about your writing space? Is there something you need to have when writing a book?
Most of my first book was written on my phone at night when my baby was sleeping next to me. When I get some free time and a chance to use my laptop, it’s pretty much a luxury to me. With a super-active 2-year-old, I don’t need specific pens or anything else, all I need is time. 😅
5. If you could be a character from any book for 24 hours, who would you be?
That’s a tough question. I’m really not sure I can choose one. But if I must… 🤷🏼♀️ I think having a tea party with the Mad Hatter would be fabulous! 😉