Welcome to our Author Spotlight, where we shine a light on writers, authors and literary wonders from all over the world.
1. First, tell us a little about your book/project?
I’m currently publishing solely on Kindle Vella. I have two ongoing stories at the moment. Stix is a folk horror featuring a creature born from a mashup of a wendingo and a leshy. It’s also loosely based on my husband’s family history. By that I mean, the main characters go to the mountains to build a lumber company and his family actually did that. My other story just launched and it’s titled Serial Fiction. It’s a play on words because it’s about a housewife that uses her book club to sell pot, but ultimately dips her polished toes into murder…several times.
2. What kind of research did you do and how long do you spend researching before beginning a book?
It depends on the setting and specifics of the book. I did quite a bit of research for Stix because I wanted to describe the historic elements accurately. Serial Fiction has been less intensive but I did spend time researching the Federal Bureau of Narcotics in the 1950s, as well as the price of marijuana back then.
3. If you could tell your younger writing self one thing, what would it be?
Stop hiding. I spent years concealing my love of writing because everyone told me it was just a hobby and I couldn’t do anything with it.
4. Can you tell us a bit about your writing space? Is there something you need to have when writing a book? For example a specific pen or notebook, a particular blend of coffee etc.
I have three (almost 4) kids. So, my writing space changes and is always wherever I can grab a minute of peace. I always need my headphones and the perfect Spotify playlist though. Oh, and coffee. The appropriate beverage is a must.
5. If you could be a character from any book for 24hours, who would you be?
Probably any character in The Hobbit. Because honestly, I’d rather be one of the background hobbits that doesn’t have to go on a quest. I’d just drink coffee and eat two breakfasts every day in the gorgeous countryside.